Persian Lifestyle Principles
The lifestyle guide in Traditional Persian Medicine (TPM) is focused on six core principles, known as Setah Zaroriah, all of which are associated with qualities of heat, coldness, moistness and dryness that can either be of benefit or harm. To maintain optimal health and keep our Humors in balance, TMP teaches us to align our lifestyle habits and environment to work in harmony with our individual Temperament:
An increase in the dominant quality associated with an individual’s Temperamental combination due to certain lifestyle choices can have a negative effect on their overall wellbeing.
- Environmental Air & Breathing: e.g. the weather is either Hot/Cold/Dry/Moist
- Food & Drink: e.g. ginger is heating, cucumber is cooling
- Movement & Rest: e.g. exercise increases heat
- Sleep & Wakefulness: e.g. sleep is cooling, wakefulness is drying
- Emotions and Feelings: e.g. anger increases heat
- Elimination: e.g. vomiting/diarrhoea causes dehydration, leading to dryness
To learn how you can identify your own Temperament, how they work, and how you can restore balance, why not subscribe to receive our blog articles? We will be providing food recipes, advice and tips all based on natural, herbal-based remedies.